Monday, May 30, 2016

A Praying Life: Chapters 25-26


(A few friends and I are reading this book together.  Each week we will read two chapters and on Friday I will post my comments from the reading.  Others may add their thoughts in the comments section.  If you are interested in reading this book as well, here is the link for the Kindle version of the book.)

Chapters 25-26

- "It [the kingdom] is so strange, so low; it is seldom recognized.  It looks like a mistake."  (Pg.  212, Loc. 2715)  The Jews did not see Jesus' kingdom because it didn't look the way they expected it to.  I wonder if I do the same- if I do not see His kingdom coming in my heart because I expect it to look like something else.  If so, may my perception change so that I will recognize His work more clearly.

- "So we pray to escape a gospel story, when that is the best gift the Father can give us."  (Pg. 213, Loc. 2733)  I can see how God works through what he describes as a "gospel story."  I struggle to see the difference between escaping such a story and wanting to see God answer prayer.  For instance, couldn't Kim's not speaking be considered a gospel story?  If we aren't to escape them, how do we ever pray for deliverance from troubles?  I'm trying to see how these things fit together.  If anyone else has thoughts on the matter, I'd appreciate your input.

- "The best place to pick up the unseen connections of our designer God is in disappointment and tension."  (Pg. 216, Loc. 2777)  Mental note: next time disappointment and tension come, may I be alert to look for the connections of my God!

- "Everything you do is connected to who you are as a person and, in turn, creates the person you are becoming.  Everything you do affects those you love."  (Pg. 217, Loc. 2785) 

- "The bottom line is we don't write down our prayer requests because we don't take prayer seriously."  (Pg. 221, Loc. 2804)  Ouch!!

- I have been really looking forward to the practical instruction in the book- the explanation of his prayer system.  I appreciated the following quotes that give a warning: "Systems can become rote, desensitizing us to God as a person" (Pg. 223, Loc. 2830), but don't let us pendulum swing too far: "All of us create systems with things that are important to us."  (Pg. 223, Loc. 2838)  I'm eager to learn more!
I've had my say, what say you?


No comments:

Post a Comment